Twenty-five years of marriage have flown by. In many ways, my husband and I are not the same people who walked down the aisle in that big, beautiful church with pipe organ music and the aroma of gardenias in the air. Everything in our lives has changed — except one thing.
We are still working at our love.
Dr. Kim Kimberling offers practical advice and specific strategies in 7 Secrets to an Awesome Marriage that will motivate couples and inform the kind of hard work that goes into building a marriage that will go the distance.
His secrets are concise, memorable one-word commands:
- STOP — Don’t keep doing the same things over and over and expecting different results! Claim your baggage, align your expectations with reality, and make changes that will lead to a stronger marriage.
- START — Put God first and your spouse second. Start praying together as a couple; worship and serve together; commit together to seeking God and praying for each other.
- CONNECT — Stop, look, and listen to your spouse to demonstrate that you are present to their words and emotions. Compassion, sincerity and empathy build connectivity in a marriage.
- ENGAGE — Airing conflict (fight right!) is healthy and productive, but choose your battles carefully and make sure that strategies include taking responsibility for your own contribution to the problem and using words that facilitate reconciliation.
- BALANCE — With four kids, scheduling time for each other has been our biggest challenge. Remembering that our marriage is our most important relationship provides motivation for better time and financial management.
- MINGLE — The gift of intimacy is a mingling of souls and will be enhanced when couples respect each other and commit to a 24/7 demonstration of love.
- FIGHT — If marriage is a game, husband and wife are on the same team. If marriage is a battle, husband and wife are fighting on the same side, and marriage is worth fighting for. Dr. Kimberling encourages his readers to make daily choices that enhance trust and strengthen the bond that builds an unshakeable foundation.
The seven secrets are great to know, but will only impact a marriage if the husband and wife put the steps into action. Solomon spoke of the three-fold cord that is not easily broken (Ecclesiastes 4:12), and he spoke more wisdom than he practiced. God stands ready to be the strengthening third in a marriage that nothing can tear apart. Now, that’s awesome.
This book was provided by Zondervan through the BookLookBloggers Program in exchange for my review. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Subscribe to get regular Bible studies and book reviews from Living Our Days delivered to your inbox. Just enter your e-mail address in the box at the top of this page.
I link up with these communities on a regular basis: Soli Deo Gloria Connections, Inspire Me Mondays, Good Morning Mondays, Soul Survival, Testimony Tuesday, Titus 2 Tuesday, Tell His Story, Coffee for Your Heart, Live Free Thursdays, Faith-Filled Fridays, Grace and Truth, Fellowship Friday, Still Saturday, The Weekend Brew, Sunday Stillness, Faith and Fellowship, Blessing Counters, Women with Intention, Sharing His Beauty, Monday Musings, Motivate and Rejuvenate Monday, Thought Provoking Thursday, Small Wonder, A Little R & R, Beloved Brews, SusanBMead, Faith Along the Way, Cozy Reading Spot, Reflect, Literacy Musing Mondays, Purposeful Faith